Monday, October 28, 2013

Ready for Winter

With highs only in the low 50's today, but cool, wet weather coming the rest of the week, I decided I had better get the winter covers on.  Again, I went with the 3/4 inch styrofoam, which has seemed to work well in the past.  The 8 frame hive is in the top photo, with hives #2 and #1 shown below.

A peek into the top box of each indicated they have a full top box of honey supply.  I will check again in several weeks.  Last year, I thought I had great surplus going into winter only to have hive #1 die off.  I'm still a bit concerned about this hive.  A couple weeks ago I looked through the entire hive and found only a few capped cells, but zillions of bees.  Hopefully the queen just shut down for awhile, due to the crowded, fall conditions.  Time will tell.  I'm not sure what I would do anyway at this point in time, with winter approaching and such a large population.  It will be interesting to see what happens.