Sunday, July 3, 2011

Fully Queenright

Just a quick note.  We checked hive #1 into which we introduced the new queen about 10 days ago.  In the top brood box, I first looked at a frame that had drone cells along the bottom edge, but no worker cells.  I was worried we might have developed laying workers.  On the next frame, though, we had a pretty decent pattern of capped worker cells and some larva several days old.  I was satisfied, so we didn't dig deeper (humidity overpowered curiosity--we were dripping, though it was only 80 degrees).
They  were starting to work on the second super and the first super was much heavier than a week ago.  We'll definitely have some honey again this year.  We peeked at hive #2 and they had made some progress there in the super as well, but not nearly as much, with only about 4 out of 9 frames fully drawn out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that all is going great with your hives!! How wonderful to get some honey out of all your hard work. Sounds like your new queen is doing a good job :)

    ReplyDelete