Bees were flying at both hives when we went out to check on them. Popping the lids, we found quite a few bees above the inner cover, particularly on hive #1, and many more bees on top of the frames in the top box. I minimized the time the bees were exposed to the air and gently placed the patties on top of the frames. I had to adjust my first placement, since it was directly in the middle so when I put the inner cover on, the oval slot was completely blocked.
It will be interesting to see how quickly they consume the patties. I'll try to check in about 2 weeks.
To see a short video of today's work, watch Adding Pollen .