Kathy and I pulled two medium supers off the first hive this morning. It amounts to roughly 75 pounds, counting the weight of the frames. I had the bee escape on and it worked fairly well. We still had to brush off some bees but brushing gently didn't seem to bother them much. We put the bee escape on hive #2. We'll pull probably 8 frames off that hive. Since they are likely still queenless, their numbers have declined and they haven't been able to produce as much.
We plan to extract this weekend, since the high on Sunday is only supposed to be 84. If we start early, we should be out of the barn before the temps climb too high. It can get pretty warm out there on a summer's day. I plan to take a lot of photos of the process this year and will post those sometime next week.
Last night, as I was working on my boat out by the barn, I noticed a lot of bees flying around the little nuc I have been trying to start. I thought that was a little odd, since the numbers have been going down since we have been unable to get a queen started there. In no time, there was quite a cloud of bees flying around, and I decided a bee from my other hives discovered this treasure and a full blown robbery was taking place. My neighbor boy came over after awhile and asked if I had seen all the bees flying around. I told him what was happening, and so moved that hive out back by the orchard this morning before pulling honey frames. It's been fun to watch them up by the house but I think I'd better keep them out back in the future.
|There were many, many more bees in the air than shown in this photo. It was pretty frenzied.|