Lighting a Smoker Video

I posted a new little video, 5 minutes long, below, showing how I light the smoker.  After seeing fairly regular comments about difficulties lighting smokers on message boards, I decided to make this video.  I used to take much longer to get mine started, but this technique seems to pretty much always work fine for me.

With temps forecast to be above 70 degrees tomorrow, I plan to do a split.  I'll move the queen, provided I can find her, into the new hive, with some capped brood, plenty of honey and pollen frames, and will make sure there are frames with eggs and young larva left in the other hive.  I'll do a follow-up post to tell how that goes, hopefully with some photos.

Update: We did the split today, but were unable to find the queen even though we did a very thorough search.  There were eggs and a lot of capped larva in both the top and bottom boxes, with mostly honey, pollen and some new nectar in the middle box.  We put several frames with eggs, young larva and capped brood in the new hive and closed things up.   I'll check in a week and see if there is a queen cell being produced.  The original hive appears very healthy, with many bees in each box.

Comments

Popular Posts