Ready for Winter

With highs only in the low 50's today, but cool, wet weather coming the rest of the week, I decided I had better get the winter covers on.  Again, I went with the 3/4 inch styrofoam, which has seemed to work well in the past.  The 8 frame hive is in the top photo, with hives #2 and #1 shown below.

A peek into the top box of each indicated they have a full top box of honey supply.  I will check again in several weeks.  Last year, I thought I had great surplus going into winter only to have hive #1 die off.  I'm still a bit concerned about this hive.  A couple weeks ago I looked through the entire hive and found only a few capped cells, but zillions of bees.  Hopefully the queen just shut down for awhile, due to the crowded, fall conditions.  Time will tell.  I'm not sure what I would do anyway at this point in time, with winter approaching and such a large population.  It will be interesting to see what happens.


  1. Hi Jim and Bessie!

    Seems like you and I have a pretty similar wintering setups - except I hold mine insulation together with a cam buckle strap. I also put a piece of insulation between the inner cover and the migratory cover. I could not tell whether you do the same.

    This winter, I am going to add a candy board on top of my hives, even though they have plenty of stores and good clusters. I am going to post some pictures of my setup this weekend on my blog.


  2. Maria,
    I thought of the straps when I went out the next day and about half of my duct tape strips were coming off--must have been a bad batch this year, since I usually have not had any trouble with that. I thought, though, the straps might be much quicker. Will try that next year. I don't put foam above the inner cover, just a big piece on top of the hive, with a brick. I'll be sure to check out your photos!

  3. Hi Jim:

    I have my photos up. You can see them at



Post a Comment

Popular Posts