Good News/Near Disaster
First, the good part. It was a 64 degree day and partly sunny, and we just came back from a trip to Virginia to see our daughter and her family plus an added trip to Charleston, SC for fun. I was anxious to see how the bees were doing, and I wanted in particular to see if we had a queen.
Kathy prepared some sugar syrup and added the fumagilin B to a gallon of that. I gathered up my supplies and tools and headed out to the hive. I had set up a new stand, which I plan to use to hold at least two hives. I set it perpendicular to the line of the old hive location but only a few feet away.
I pulled the top box (of 3) off and set it aside, as well as the middle box. I began looking through the bottom box, but only found frame after frame of bees loaded with pollen but no capped or uncapped brood. I took this box off and set it on the new hive stand, on a screened bottom board.
After pulling one frame out of the middle box, I could see right away that the next frame had capped brood. Hurray--I was mostly sure this hive was queenless, so this was a great sight. I pulled a frame out and examined it briefly and things looked fine.
|The new hive stand|