Goldenrod still going strong

It's funny.  I have been looking at the goldenrod for several weeks, without seeing bees.  Honeybees, that is.  There have been the ever-present bumblebees and other small bees and wasps, but few honeybees.  Today, however, with temps struggling to get into the 70's under a partly cloudy sky, the honeybees were out in force on the goldenrod.
I checked with the bees two days ago, and did not notice the "smelly sock" odor that accompanies uncapped goldenrod honey.  I'll never forget the panic I experienced the first time I noticed the odor--certain that my hives had AFB!  Fortunately, I did some reading before torching them to find out that it is not a concern.
In my inspection the other day, I was surprised to see that hive #4, which at last inspection was basically out of food and had no larva and few capped cells, had many more bees than I recalled and were filling cells both with nectar and royal jelly!  I did not see the queen, though I didn't look in the bottom of the two boxes.  I do suspect that they have made a new queen and she is hopefully about to begin laying.  I "think" I saw a few eggs, though not for sure since the lighting was poor at the time.  The other hives certainly have some honey ready in them, though there seemed to be a lot of frames full of honey that wasn't ready to be capped.  I'll give them more time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's Always More to Learn

Bee Escape

Stingless Bees of Costa Rica