Friday, June 17, 2011
It was a drizzly morning, but more rain was in the forecast and we had a lot of things on our agenda, so we decided to go ahead and start the nuc. We opened hive #1, first taking a look at the super which last week had shown little change. We were happy to see that it was really filling out with fresh, white new comb and the comb was being filled with nectar. I'll have to look at that again early next week and add a super if needed.
The top brood box was very heavy and completely full of honey. There was no larva to be seen in that box, and because of the time and wetness we didn't go any deeper in the hive. We pulled a couple of frames, replaced those with new frames which Kathy had to run and retrieve from the barn since I had forgotten we'd need those, and put the hive back together. We brought the nuc up near the barn, over 200 feet from the original hives and put the queen cage between some frames. We did not get a lot of bees, so I'm hoping we got enough. I saw no immediate reaction from the bees to the queen cage but they had probably not gotten her full scent, given the smoking they had just received. We closed it up and will check tomorrow (Saturday) to see if the queen has been released and, if not, will release her. Then I'll check next week to see if we have any larva in hive #1 and, if not, put the queen there. I'm still trying to decide exactly how to do that.